Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake.
-Christopher Hitchens
Lord Galen
Home  •  Classic Home  •   •  Forum  • 

Archive 2007:           2007 Archive Index           Main Archive Index

Guy with Issues
October 15, 2007

Dear Galen

I'll make this as simple as possible. My dad has drinking problems and to make things short, he's somehow got it into his head that my mom's cheating on him. Its a long story and to make it short, his drinking has gotten far worse, and my mom had to leave the house for a bit before my dad's drunken rages went calmed down enough so that my mom could be at home with him and be relatively safe. My mom's been contemplating divorce for a while and she's confronted my dad about this and until now, the possibility of divorce has become much more real.

At the time I'm writing this "Dear Galen" piece, my parents both have had a very loud argument about the whole divorce issue, and I'm quite worried at the moment. If the divorce happens, I know that the conflicts between my parents would go down significantly, and that would be a good thing, but I'm not sure if I'll be living in the same place, if I'd have to leave the place that's been my home for as long as I can remember, or even if my family would be able to support itself.

All in all, I'm just worried about what will happen.

So essentially, how do I deal with my dad's drinking problems? We have never actually been close. What do I do when my dad comes home drunk and starts going around in a rage? Also, most importantly, how should I deal with divorce if or when it happens?

This problem has been bothering me for a long time and it would be great if you could answer this letter in as serious a way as possible. The "Dear Galen" column is the only place I could write this to and feel comfortable.

Guy with Issues

Dear Guy,

Alright, I'll answer this in an absolutely serious manner. Here's my advice: Go talk to a qualified counselor (your school should have one) or some other trusted adult. You're not going to be able to solve these problems. Your parents will never listen to you concerning their marital problems and your dad will only get pissed if you try to do, or even say, anything about his drinking problems.

Only reason I posted this up is because you obviously needed a place to express how you feel about this. There really is no advice on how you can fix this yourself. You can't. You need outside help from a trusted adult.

Good luck.

Lord Galen

Archive 2007:           2007 Archive Index           Main Archive Index